Search This Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Double Diamond Bar @ Tyrol Basin

Although this may extend beyond our geographical reach (i.e. Mt. Horeb), we decided to review the bloody mary at the quaint little Double Diamond Bar at Tyrol Basin. My interest was initially piqued by the towering glass vase full of jalapenos marinating in vodka. Upon inquiring, I was told this was the vodka used in their 'spicy' and 'medium' Bloody Mary concoctions. Some brief background to their options: spicy is served with their own Bloody mix containing the jalapeno infused vodka, 'medium' is served similarly but with a mix of half jalapeno vodka and half un-infused vodka, and their 'mild' does not contain any of the infusion.

Before I could sit down to enjoy my tasty beverage, I was immediately impressed with the presentation...the rim was loaded with two giant shrimp, two skewered olives, and topped off with asparagus (pictures to follow). Upon tasting, one could definitely feel the tinge and unique taste of jalapeno in the vodka. However, I was disappointed when after a few sips there seemed to be something missing. I could taste the usual suspects: tomato juice, horse radish, and Worcestershire; but their mix fell a bit short and lacked that 'hearty' quality. Perhaps it may have had too much vodka since it appeared a bit watered down, but yet the vodka taste was not overpowering (perhaps because I was lost in the jalapeno flavor!). In the end, it excelled in appearance but fell short in substance. This is truly a shame since a great mix would've complemented this vodka so well.

My rating is 3.0. I loved the garnish and presentation, not to mention the effort in using infused vodka. However, taste is ultimately paramount in our reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment